After Christmas Break....

So most of you are probably still recovering from the Christmas activities in your classroom and completing the month of December by scraping children (of all ages) off of the ceiling. Soooo..... I am posting this for you to think about upon your return to school in January (after the kerfuffle).

When the kiddos come back from break, they are a mess. Let's be honest. Lots of days of sleeping in, eating sweets like it's no body's business and little or no reading, writing or arithmetic. 



Ugh.

So back on track we go......

How do we re-energize our kiddos?

First thing I like to do is celebrate the New Year. 
Both young and old, love to do this.
We share in a toast. I also ask the kids to say one goal out
loud that they have for the new year. We circulate around the room.


For my younger kiddos, we actually "toast" to the new year with.... TOAST! 
We also made goals on toast.

My older students also made "sticky note goals"..... so that they can be edited (if need be). You can pick up a copy of this template HERE



For my younger students, I created a reading challenge This helps them get back on track and on the move again.
You can pick up a challenge pack HERE.




For older students, I usually did a reading challenge. This year I picked up a reading challenge bucket list during the Teachers Pay Teachers sale. When I head back into the classroom to teach upper grades, I will be using this.
Here is a free sample of a list I have used in the past. You can set up a challenge grid in your room and have prizes etc. Whatever you feel motivates your kids.
This gives kids a chance to choose their own books, but not HAVE to read what you pick for them.

Other freebies you might want to check out:


I love this idea.....Mini "Survival Packs".... Good way to review rules and expectations. Also great tips for students on how to survive the remainder of the year in the classroom. There are also editable files available (for you to put your own spin on it)... or, perhaps you could have students create their own. 
Anywho.... just a few ideas for the back burner!
Rest up and restore!

Have a great Christmas Break!
See you in the new year :)
~Kaitlin~

Comments