School Olympic Fun, Interactive Math Notebook and More!

After many cancellations due to weather, temperature, workshops etc., we finally held our School Olympic Day this week! It was awesome!

Each team as assigned a country. Of course, our entire school envied the class that was CANADA! Hahaha! My class was "USA".... which wasn't the most popular country, as team Canada and USA were scheduled to play one another the day of our games. Ha! We still cheered our hearts out.

We were also decked out in red, blue and white, I brought in face paint, we made USA headbands and arm bands out of streamers and carried our mini flags.



Our opening ceremony kicked things off. Here's a peak at lighting our Olympic torch (paper flames and Christmas lights!) Adorbs!

The games were classic and entertaining (to say the least).

We also streamed the CANADA vs. USA hockey game throughout the school.
What a GREAT DAY!

This week I also took on a new role as a Home Instructor for a student who is ill and cannot attend school. She is a sweet little girl who is very motivated to learn (what teacher doesn't LOVE that?!)
 I started an interactive math notebook with her-- Our focus has been on Fractions. I have created some interactive lessons and have also used some great activities by Blair Turner.


We have also created an Olympic Inspired Literacy scrapbook, using centers created by a colleague in my board and some of my own. After many weeks off of school, it was nice to ease back into work with her.
A little work with adjectives, nouns, & verbs---- Ahhhh....Poetry!


Summarizing news articles.




In my classroom, I have been trying to integrate various subjects. This week in Geography and Literacy, we looked at Natural Disasters. I have begun to teach my kids "how to research". Using both big ideas, by students are in the midst of creating a natural disaster research paper. I am using Erin Cobb's research pack and I am loving it :) I will continue to model the process this week.



And there goes another week...... 2 weeks until March Break! WOOT WOOT!

Don't know how I am going to get through the week without satisfying my Olympic addiction! Woke up at 6:55am to catch the Gold Medal Hockey Game this morning and it was oh-so-worth-it! Way to go Canada! We are proud! :)


Listening to our national anthem never gets old. Brings a smile to my face.
(And no, I didn't get off the couch to video this! Hahaha! It's early on a Sunday morn.... Don't judge!)

HAPPY SUNDAY!!! Have a great week :)

~Kaitlin~

















Comments